his facility was originally a Franciscan monastery. Nearly 300 years after Saint Francis’ death, the “Observant” Friars Minor were established in Borgo Mozzano and, with philanthropic help, constructed their monastery in 1523, on a hill with an impressive aspect, which overlooks the whole village. The monastery has continued to be a religious structure providing continuity to the community over the centuries. Today, it is a retirement home honoring its origins as a charitable organization among its neighbors.
In 1982 the Misericordia di Borgo a Mozzano obtained the monastery from the Friars Minor and, after its restoration, the Centro Anziani was re-opened in 1983. It is now managed by the Misericordia di Borgo a Mozzano and represents the organization’s most significant work.
Today the Misericordia is undertaking substantial work to upgrade its facilities, and we are supporting this effort with systems innovations and fire prevention.